The Department offers two study programs within the BSc Engineering Honours Degree specialized in Computer Science and Engineering as (1) Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) Stream with 100 undergraduates and (2) Integrated Computer Engineering (ICE) Stream with 25 undergraduates. While the long established CSE program provides the industry with its top-tier technical talent and expertise, the newly established ICE program is intended to build on the success achieved by the Department in meeting the industry need for top quality software engineers, systems engineers and network engineers, and leverage that expertise to produce the industrial computer engineers needed by the country in its national development program.
Undergraduate curriculum at CSE is designed to equip the students with technical expertise in diverse engineering disciplines. The spectrum of course modules spans from engineering, management, aesthetics to soft skills. Courses are regularly updated to keep abreast with the latest enhancements in Information Communication Technology.
To produce graduate engineers who can, with creativity and innovation, craft solutions through a systematic design, development and integration of computer hardware engineering, software engineering, network engineering and knowledge which embeds to the material world to change systems and processes for the benefit of humanity.
The Knowledge, Skills, Attributes and Qualities of an Engineer in the specialization of Computer Science and Engineering:
- 1. Ability to analyze complex problems and design, develop and evaluate solutions using specialist knowledge from the domain of computer engineering that satisfy performance, efficiency, safety, reliability, quality, cost and environmental constraints. [Knowledge & Understanding]
- 2. Ability to apply mathematical, scientific and technological methodologies and tools to solve problems incorporating creative and innovative thinking in the context of design, development and integration in the domain of computer engineering. [Intellectual Abilities]
- 3. Ability to conceptualize solutions in distributed environments through appropriate software and data distribution and introduction of new technologies through a process of partitioning in the domain of computer engineering. [Intellectual Abilities]
- 4. Ability to conceptualize solutions in constrained environments through appropriate hardware-software partitioning and introduction of new technologies through a process of integration in the domain of computer engineering. [Intellectual Abilities]
- 5. Ability to solve complex cross-domain problems through application of integrative skills, theoretical knowledge and product engineering techniques. [Practical Skills]
- 6. Ability to demonstrate cross-domain design capabilities by incorporating heterogeneous systems including computer hardware, software, automated systems and embedded systems. [Practical Skills]
- 7. Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral forms to both technical and non-technical audiences. [General Transferable Skills]
- 8. Ability to work cooperatively and effectively in multi-disciplinary teams. [General Transferable Skills]
- 9. Be self-motivated, enthusiastic and to undertake lifelong learning for continuing professional development. [Qualities]
- 10. Be an individual with an independence of mind, with intellectual integrity possessing professional and ethical behavior. [Qualities]
Learner Support Environment
The learning environment and the learner support systems in the Department of CSE have been developed over time to meet changing requirements of the undergraduates, the industry and also technological developments. The key points of this approach are:
- ◾ Promoting student interaction at lectures
- ◾ Using problem based learning approach when suitable
- ◾ Emphasizing soft skills of the students
- ◾ Using e-Learning systems and other on-line teaching and learning technologies
- ◾ Adopting global standards in engineering education such as outcome based education (OBE)
- ◾ Promoting self discovery and experimentation
- ◾ Incorporating humanities to the study of engineering
- ◾ Improving teaching skills through student reviews and peer reviews
The long established CSE program provides the industry with its top-tier technical talent and expertise in software engineers, systems engineers and network engineers.
- ◾ CSE Curriculum
- ◾ CSE Syllabus
The newly established ICE program is intended to provide the industry with its top-tier technical talent and expertise in embedded systems engineers, automation engineers, and software engineers.
- ◾ ICE Curriculum
- ◾ ICE Syllabus